Learn more about the local, rural history in and around Arcade, New York at the Arcade Historical Society, located next to the Pioneer Arcade Elementary School on West Main Street in Arcade. The Society was formed in 1957 for the 150th anniversary of the settlement of the town and collects and preserves objects and materials that illustrate the history of the town of Arcade and the surrounding area.The Society is in a Queen Anne style house known locally as the "Gibby House." The Gibby House was left to the Society in 1984 by Mr. Vernon Gibby's Estate to use as a museum.
The purpose of the Arcade Historical Society is
To collect, display and interpret to the general public, artifacts and records pertaining to the development of the Town and the Village of Arcade and the surrounding area.
To carry out educational and preservation activities to this end, in accordance with current museum and preservation standards.
To acquire items by gift, purchase, grant, devise or bequest, to be held or disposed of according to current state limitations, as prescribed by law.
To encourage historical research.
To mark places of historical interest.
To create exhibits and sponsor public programs pertaining to such history as it applies to Arcade and the surrounding area.
To control the properties owned by the Society.
To cooperate with other groups and individuals in the area in the preservation and promotion of the history of Western New York, as related to the Arcade area.
President : Joanne Haskell
Vice President : Lorna Spencer
Treasurer: Jeffrey Mason
BOARD OF TRUSTEES:
Operations Manager, Susan Andrews
The next Board meeting is Thursday, January 5, 2017, at 4 p.m. at the Liberty Street Fire Hall.
SOCIETY BLOG: visit and sign up for the society's blog.